14 October 2006

More Vista - Desktop Window Manager

I must admit, although I am not very interested in running Microsoft Windows Vista as my own operating system at home, I am interested in understanding the UI technologies that are going to be available in it. It's certainly necessary to understand it for work.

A more interesting application of these new UI features are how the cross-platform toolkits going to incorporate them (and indeed whether some of it is so useless that it shouldn't be incorporated). I don't think that the toolkits will struggle to keep up since each time operating system UIs try to diverge they always end up converging. I do think that the way these toolkits expand will show which ones are the best designed (you know, the extra functionalty being less kludgey).

There is nother decent blog article about DWM here.